Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamfall .pak Extractor

Dreamfall .pak Extractor

Here comes a first exe release of the Dreamfall pak extractor, still rather crude, but should do the job, just drag&drop the .paks you want to extract onto the exe (its a command line tool, so no GUI) and it will extract them to dreamfall-extract/{name of .pak}/... into the same directory where the dreamfall-extractor.exe is located:

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...-extractor.exe

I havn’t tested it myself under Windows, but only on Linux, but unless there is a bug, it should work.

You can find me on irc.rizon.net, #Ragnar if you have comments or questions or just post here.

PS: The textures are in dds format, which can't be view by many programms directly, IrfanView is one piece of software that can view and convert them: http://www.irfanview.com/

Changes:

V0.1.1: extracts to same directory as dreamfall-extractor.exe and no longer to C:/Documents and Settings/{username}/dreamfall-extractor/
    Last edited by grumbel; 05-08-2006 at 01:06 AM.

Since somebody in Ragnars blog mentioned interest in translating Dreamfalls subtitles into other languages. Here is a first try at a dialog extractor, the dialogs itself are in init.pak, if extracted with the dreamfall-extractor one gets a file init/dat/0212.dat, the dialog extractor applied to that file gives a dreamfall-dialog.po that can be used for translation. However, as mentioned before, getting dialogs out of the game and back into the game are two different beast, the first one is easy, the second might turn out a lot more difficult. So starting translation of that file now might not result in playable results anytime soon. I am also not sure if the dialogs in init.pak are complete or if other dialogs are hiding somewhere else.

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...log-v0.0.0.exe

Excellent tool, thanks.

To save others the guesswork (i tried the vox paks first myself) that song played when Zoe returns to Casablanca is in the "la place du sucre" pak.

Voltec not Xotec!
    Great tool, Grumbel. I'll be playing with it quite a bit to look at the dialogues in the game.

Wow! Thanks alot! Maybe we can find some unused dialogs/songs/scenes with this tool ^^

Some more progress on getting data out of the paks, not really useful at the moment, but I found the files where the 3d models are hiding or at least some of them, its in dat/0002.dat (most paks contain such a file). Havn't figured out where one model starts and another ends, but simply plotting the data into 3d already gives nice patterns, looks even better when viewed in 3D

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...ll-3dmodel.png

One thing that is still puzzling me is where the filenames are hidding (if they are in there at all), there are plenty of them in the paks, but all seem to belong to either scripts or 3d models and not to the pak files themself.

I'd like to get the audio out of the game!

Getting audio out of the game is already possible, everything is .wav or .mp3, so you can listen to it with whatever player you have. Textures are in .dds format and require a special tool for viewing, IrfanView or the DDS toolkits from Nvidia or ATI can do that. Beside from that there are scripts, bone information and shaders in the source, all of those however don't really have much use at the moment.

A first try at a little Dreamfall Mod

http://clanlib.org/~grumbel/dreamfall-mod.jpg

Ok, not really that exciting, it simply swaps the mobile textures, so that one gets the Arcadia version of the mobile in Stark, but at least it demonstrates that one can swap or replace files without having some checksum ruin the fun.

Works via commandline:

./dreamfall-extractor-v0.1.2 --inject /media/windows/Dreamfall/bin/res/common.pak 1097 ./dreamfall-extractor/common/textures/1079.dds /tmp/test.pak

Where test.pak is the new pak file that gets written, 1097 is the index of the file to replace and textures/1079.dds is the file to inject. So 1097 (mobile texture Stark) gets replaced by 1079 (mobile texture Arcadia). Once done backup common.pak and rename test.pak to common.pak and you are ready to run the game.

Newest extractor with 'inject' feature is available at:

http://clanlib.org/~grumbel/dreamfal...tor-v0.1.2.exe

Nice work. Now all you have to do is write an editor with user interface and capabilities for the creation of story elements, and we're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbel
    Some more progress on getting data out of the paks, not really useful at the moment, but I found the files where the 3d models are hiding or at least some of them, its in dat/0002.dat (most paks contain such a file). Havn't figured out where one model starts and another ends, but simply plotting the data into 3d already gives nice patterns, looks even better when viewed in 3D

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/...ll-3dmodel.png

One thing that is still puzzling me is where the filenames are hidding (if they are in there at all), there are plenty of them in the paks, but all seem to belong to either scripts or 3d models and not to the pak files themself.
    and what is the 3d models format ? *.3ds ? *.max? ........ *.blend ?

The 3D format used is something custom to shark3d engine, so somebody needs to figure out the fileformat or find out if there exists public available import/export scripts.

EDIT1:Noticed there's a more up to date thread.

Hmm. I thin there's an exporter for 3dsmax that can export those kind of files. I might give it a try. I'm still uncertain of how you meant this insert function works ?

Another question, if I use only unpacked files and take away pak files (like you could do with games like DoomIII) I think the game should load the unpacked files anyways. However so far, no luck with that.

I'm currently trying to see if I can swap models around. So far no luck there either.
    Last edited by Mireneye; 05-27-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Smile

Edit2: I have found a nice application for converting from and to DDS. It's called Any Image, and though it costs 40 US dollars, it's free for 30 days. It's better than most programs since it actually compresses the texture, all other programs I tried has some kind of default compression which makes the DDS file exactly 3 MB in size no matter how small the original texture is.
    Last edited by skribb; 05-28-2006 at 09:49 PM.

What about VOX files? Is there any method to extract these samples (does anyone know what format they are?) and put them back again to VOX files?

Thanks for your time.