Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running old TLJ in Linux ?

Running old TLJ in Linux ?

Hi there!

A friend of mine gave me the old TLJ, and I've tried it in Windows XP and loved it, but before I buy Dreamfall, I would like to finish the first game. The problem is that I only use Linux right now.

I would like to know if anyone has installed the game in Linux and played it normally, using Cedega, Wine, or any other program. If you did, then please explain to me how you did it.

Thanks for your time.

I've tried running it in wine some weeks ago, but that didn't work. I can't say if it runs better with Cedega.

If you or anybody else want to invest the time to make it work, it is probably best to start with the downloadable demo on the website, whihc uses the code for the newer releases of TLJ. I'll personally ship a free copy of the game to anyone who gets the demo to run on Linux and manages explain to me how he or she did it :-)

While trying to run TLJ through Remote Desktop today, I noticed that this fails badly, and investigated the reason. I found a problem with software rendering that I took care of, and the resulting code also runs on Linux/wine now.

However, the characters flicker like mad, some fonts are pink, and in general, you don't want to play it like that. If I figure out anything more, I might be tempted enough to make a build with the relevant code-patches, but don't hold your breath.

Prince of Procrastination
    Enno, I just have to say that you are a dream come true. I'll help out as soon as I get my Linux box back together (motherboard died ).

I tried it with my newly received package yesterday (on Ubuntu 6.06), it worked up to the startscreen (with some awkward fonts, indeed, but graphics seemed ok so far).
    But when clicking for a new game the wine process crashed. Would be really nice if it worked in wine and I would have not to boot windwos to play.

It crashes in Wine because it can't create a Z-Buffer. I've made a version that runs without crashing, so you can get into the game, but it looks terrible. As soon as I have some more time, I'm planning to take another look, and I might make a patch for Linux-users. That would be for the 2 CD versions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    It crashes in Wine because it can't create a Z-Buffer. I've made a version that runs without crashing, so you can get into the game, but it looks terrible. As soon as I have some more time, I'm planning to take another look, and I might make a patch for Linux-users. That would be for the 2 CD versions, though.
    I wish every developer was so attentive...

Nothing bur RespecT

How?! Did you get it running?

I couldn't even get it running! I posted my thread on Ubuntu Forums.

This is my main error,
    err:ddrawDRAW_Create Couldn't load WineD3D - OpenGL libs not present?

And when I execute, wineprefixcreate, it gives me this error,
    err:module:import_dll Library wined3d.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system32\\d3d8.dll") not found

As well as I'm fustrated, the game pops up a menu before spewing out the code,
    "A DirectDraw related error occurred."

Please help? Or send me the wined3d.dll File? =S

I had some time this weekend to play around. The latest version of wine (0.9.37) manages to start the game (build 161), but the characters are being rendered all black, the z-buffer still doesn't work (but that no longer crashes TLJ because of changes I made some time ago), and the mouse cannot select characters. Also, it is really slow.

All in all, it's still garbage, but it's better garbage than some weeks ago, and things are going in the right direction. I give the wine developers another year and it's going to run nicely :-)

Lightbulb Another perspective

I've been using CrossOver (a wine-based application) on my Mac, just to give another perspective/platform if you're interested. I've managed to install the game, but it crashes on loading. I can paste the error log here, if you think it would help at all with this; or is it sufficiently different I should start a new thread?

(And I'm not sure which version of the game I have - I don't have 2 CDs or 4, I have 6!)

Dreamworld Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loreleif View Post
    (And I'm not sure which version of the game I have - I don't have 2 CDs or 4, I have 6!)
    Are you sure you have "The Longest Journey", not "Dreamfall - The Longest Journey"? The latter comes either with a DVD or 6 CDs.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen88 View Post
    Are you sure you have "The Longest Journey", not "Dreamfall - The Longest Journey"? The latter comes either with a DVD or 6 CDs.
    You're absolutely right. I'm sorry - I swear I thought I was in the right forum! I'll just go slink over there now...

I really hope this gets fixed somehow in the near future... I just finished Dreamfall (on Xbox) last night and I'm dying to know more about what's going on!

However, like others on this thread, I do not own a copy of Windows and exclusively use Linux (Ubuntu 7.04 specifically). I know the game is available through Steam, and Steam works under WINE, so hopefully the original TLJ will too soon....hell, if Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft can, why not a game from 1999?

I really really really hope you guys go for a more multi-platform approach with the next installment(s)

Bumping a very old thread to see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    All in all, it's still garbage, but it's better garbage than some weeks ago, and things are going in the right direction. I give the wine developers another year and it's going to run nicely :-)
    It's been more than two years and unfortunately wine is still not able to run this great game any better. I think our only hope would be that Enno finds the time to give the wine developers some hint as to what is going wrong. There are quite a few of us that would be forever grateful for such an effort...

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11819

Please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

wow, just install XP already....Linux sucks.