Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamview (Dreamfall model viewer)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkunozou
    this is rather strange, is says it's trying to open a d3d device with full d3d9 accelaration, which obvious your gc doesn't support. It shouldn't because from beta3a on it will only open a hardware device if you select "use full hardware acc." AND it's supported by your gc, none of which is the case. Can't see a reason why it would do that in the code... Maybe I'll go find some old graphic card in a dusty box deep in the cellar so I can debug.
    Ah, no, sorry if I've confused you. The underground cave problem occurs on my desktop. I can't get anything with the laptop. (If you'll observe the logfiles I quoted, both identify a different device because they're from a different machine. ) With full hardware acceleration enabled on my laptop, I get a D3D initialization error. With it off, everything is blue/invisible. Can't see a thing.

On my desktop, which DOES support full Direct3D 9 acceleration (it's an nVidia GeForce 6600GT), the underground cave can't be viewed because of the problem I mention. Needless to say, the underground cave can't be viewed on the laptop because nothing can.
    Last edited by sireebob; 06-25-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sireebob
    Dreamview beta 3a event log
    loading scene idx file
    initialize graphics : adapter 0,fullscreen False, pure True, shading True
    graphic adapter info :
    Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
    \\.\DISPLAY1
    type Hardware format X8R8G8B8 stencil format D24X8 flags PureDevice, HardwareVertexProcessing
    vertex shader v0.0
    pixel shader v2.0
    The underground cave thing is a different bug (it's already fixed in the code). But the logfile above IS from your laptop, right ? and I wondered why it showed "pure: true" which it only should if your gc supports dx9 acceleration + you activate "full hw acc."

I can't get the Underground Cave either. And that's the one I want the most!

Prince of Procrastination
    Yeah post that update!

nag nag nag nag

Oh BTW I can't get it to display any of the character models on my computer. Everytime I try to load models for people I get an error. I looked at the code hoping I could help out with the project but I have never used DirectX or .NET so I'm pretty useless here (I'm an OpenGL guy). I'll post my error details later.

Yeah, I just get silhouettes for the model animations. Or is that the way it's supposed to be?

If so: how do I get the skins, like you guys did for Brian and the Prophet?

Quote Originally Posted by krushia
    Yeah post that update!
    nag nag nag nag
    okay okay here it comes. (beta 3b)
    (procedure as usual)
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin.../dreamview.zip

Has the underground cave fixed (I didn't really like it anyway *shrug* besides water is broken).
    It also has a directx .x-file exporter (models + textures, no bones, no naimations). It is rather useless, though. When I was looking for file formats I didn't notice that while .x is widely supported, almost all apps only support EXPORTING to .x, not importing. The only tool I found which also imports stuff is is the commercial okino polytrans, but even that has problems with multiple textures per mesh. So in the end I only managed to view my exported .x-files with Microsofts XViewer which comes with the DX SDK. Hooray
    I'll really have to settle for anonther file format next time. The problem is, I want to add a re-importer for changed geometry later (for mods), so I need to be able to recognize the frame hierachy on reload. Most fileformats arent suitable for that. (>Reza: btw. wavefront .obj won't do any good, as they support neither frame hierarchy nor bones).
    Most probably I'll go for different file formats for static scenes and animated characters, and some tag-files which store additional information to be relinked later.... as you see, this importing/exporting thing is nowhere near trivial.

oh and btw., I don't know if that's useful for s.o. but if you export a file, it saves the needed textures in the choosen directory as .png (real png, no undercover .dds).
    Last edited by pinkunozou; 06-26-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wandrew8
    Yeah, I just get silhouettes for the model animations. Or is that the way it's supposed to be?
    no, that is definately a bug. character animations should be all nice & shiny.
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pinkunozou/bla.jpg

> wandrew8, kushia:
    plz record a logfile.txt (verbose 3) and send to me (vertigo80 at gmx.net)

I would suggest exporting to collada. It's a text format that should support whatever you might need (bones, animation, yadda yadda). It also have a decent support from mainstream tools like 3dsmax or maya...
    And it's an open format

Quote Originally Posted by yaz0r
    I would suggest exporting to collada. It's a text format that should support whatever you might need (bones, animation, yadda yadda). It also have a decent support from mainstream tools like 3dsmax or maya...
    And it's an open format
    you're right, collada does look nice. Just the kind of file format I was looking for. The only problem is that the plugins are a pain in the ass to set up - I couldn't get the blender plugin to work at all, and to install the 3dsmax plugin you have to download 2 different plugin versions and mix files. even so, I couldn't get textures to work with a sample file.

Most fileformats arent suitable for that. (>Reza: btw. wavefront .obj won't do any good, as they support neither frame hierarchy nor bones).
    Yes, I knew that but it would be sufficient to get a t-posed character model, with UVs and textures applied.

Here's my problem:

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
       at DreamView.Scene.get_isReady()
       at DreamView.MainForm.renderPanel_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    DreamView
        Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/DreamView/DreamView.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX
        Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
        Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
        Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
        Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1037/error2nj.gif

EDIT: I can continue, but no models will show up, just a huge red cross.
    Crow: "Glad to help, doll."
    Zoe: "Doll?"
    Crow: "Um, I mean 'independent and self-reliant female person who's not an object to be ogled or used solely for my own personal amusement and pleasure'."

Prince of Procrastination
    invictius you have the same problem I had earlier. You need to install the latest DirectX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

This was discussed earlier in the thread if you need more info.

- Ken

Quote Originally Posted by krushia
    invictius you have the same problem I had earlier. You need to install the latest DirectX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

This was discussed earlier in the thread if you need more info.

- Ken
    I remember a time when you didn't need a directx install from a certain date, letalone a, b, or c. In fact, I had to install a febuary version just to get a certain game working.

EDIT: Installed, now instead of crosses, I just get nothing. No errors, just the program's model display window as if nothing is being selected.

EDIT2: D'oh, you have to double click the items in question to display them :P
    Last edited by invictius; 06-28-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    Crow: "Glad to help, doll."
    Zoe: "Doll?"
    Crow: "Um, I mean 'independent and self-reliant female person who's not an object to be ogled or used solely for my own personal amusement and pleasure'."

Yeah, it's crazy the way they've just stopped increasing the version number. Why didn't they just make a "9.1" at some point? At least then it'd be more obvious than three or four different versions all labelled "9.0c".

Plenty of room for more versions, 9.1a comes after 9.0z :]