Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamview (Dreamfall model viewer)

speaking of obnoxious revisions, here comes dreamfall beta3e

it now features export for 3 file formats, directx .x, halflife2 .smd, milkshape3d .ms3d. As of now, geometry & texture are supported. skeletal structure and animation will follow. You can read & convert the files using blender3d(free) or milkshape3d (shareware).
    The later 2 formats are intended for character export. They will work for single meshes out of a scene also (you can select them on export), but not for scenes since they don't understand frame hierachy so all meshes will lump together (they also have limits on #vertices)
    smd is only there because it's easy to write and has dreamfall-compatible skinning. It's not really suitable for re-import since it doesn't allow grouping (I might go for an ugly trick and encode data in the texture filename, though)
    ms3d is "kind of" suitable for reimporting changed character models, but skinning data will be partly lost.
    I haven't decide on the format for reimporting, I have to check the results first.

apart from the exporter, beta3e fixes some bugs for non-dx9 compliants graphic cards.

http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin.../dreamview.zip

src code
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin...amview_src.zip

Nice: I no longer get silhouettes for the character models!

Prince of Procrastination
    Quote Originally Posted by wandrew8
    Nice: I no longer get silhouettes for the character models!
    The silhouettes should still occur if you select "use shading" without turning on "Reference light box". That is how it has always been. Turning shading off always shows the "normal" model with textures.

Quote Originally Posted by krushia
    The silhouettes should still occur if you select "use shading" without turning on "Reference light box". That is how it has always been. Turning shading off always shows the "normal" model with textures.
    that's the point of the reference light box option
    but it was broken for non-dx9 compliant cards which is now fixed

Why can i see chars animatios only if i activate the "use shading" options?
    Last edited by Persia; 07-02-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Ok, I'm having problems loading models. "please load an object to animate first". I will load a scene, then try to load a model, but it doesn't show up. Any ideas?
    Crow: "Glad to help, doll."
    Zoe: "Doll?"
    Crow: "Um, I mean 'independent and self-reliant female person who's not an object to be ogled or used solely for my own personal amusement and pleasure'."

I have a suggestion ... clear the scene.idx file when the pak path is changed. I didn't read the instructions and didn't point to the bin\res subfolder. Since it was a valid path it didn't give an error, but didn't load anything. I changed the path and restarted it, still nothing, until I quit and deleted that file, then it indexed

Quote Originally Posted by Persia
    Why can i see chars animatios only if i activate the "use shading" options?
    mainly because dreamfall's character animation is done by the gpu using a vertex shader. Deamview reuses the original dreamfall shaders, and so also the character animation. That's why animation works with shading enabled only

Quote Originally Posted by invictius
    Ok, I'm having problems loading models. "please load an object to animate first". I will load a scene, then try to load a model, but it doesn't show up. Any ideas?
    did you doubleclick the model first (i.e. zoe, not "whole scene") and then an animation in the subtree of the model ?
    If you did that and it still doesn't work please specify "doesn't show up" -> only blue screen, only static model, ...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNovak
    I have a suggestion ... clear the scene.idx file when the pak path is changed. I didn't read the instructions and didn't point to the bin\res subfolder. Since it was a valid path it didn't give an error, but didn't load anything. I changed the path and restarted it, still nothing, until I quit and deleted that file, then it indexed
    yeah, I should do that in the next release

beta 4 is now able to export the skeletal structure, skin weighting and animation tracks. Currently these are only supported for .smd files.
    Now the .smd exporter is finished, I will focus on a first reimporter for .smd files. Like I said, smd is not really suitable for that but I figured in the case of characters it should be possible with minor overhead (i.e. you will need to use unique textures for each mesh, and refer to them in a .tag file - but since a character model usually consists of 2 meshes only (body, hair) that should not be a problem). .smd is the easiest way to go imho, since there are lots of tools for editing halflife models, and the skinning format is very close to dreamfall. For static scene object, I will probably use another format.
    So stay tuned

beta4
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin.../dreamview.zip
    Last edited by pinkunozou; 07-04-2006 at 01:10 PM.

I hope this hasn't already been answered, but I have little time to be thorough in my searches :/ Sorry if I'm repeatting history.

Is there a way to pause the animation of a scene? i.e. to stop the Black House once it is opened in Winter, rather than have it continuously opening and shutting?

Prince of Procrastination
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozdanee
    Is there a way to pause the animation of a scene? i.e. to stop the Black House once it is opened in Winter, rather than have it continuously opening and shutting?
    Of course not. What would be the fun in that? Faith's house wouldn't be as mysterious if you could view it that easily. Darn kids, always looking for more ways to cheat

Kids? :P

Forgive me if my aged fingers and eyes are too slow to deal with you youngsters and your video-games...

...now...where's my blanket and my Horlick's?

First success in reimporting & injecting new 3d models !
    http://www.niklasjung.ch/webhost/pin...u/modelmod.jpg
    (whatz that thing doing here ?)

it works for static objects with some limitations now, and I'm now working on character modding. Next version of dreamview featuring reimport & inject will be out soon

Hello everybody, I can see this tool is coming along quite nicely. I have a few questions about things which I unfortunately can not look up myself right now because i'm not able to access my main computer.

The maps, are they also basically only composed from 3dmodels of the same shark 3d files ?? Or is there a specific file extension that keeps all the data collected ?. I'm asking because if we could eventually compose maps we could start modding for real.

I already have a heap of plans for modding this game, and if (and I think it will) become very moddable in the end, I'm thinking about assemblying a small team of modders to work on a small adventure mod. I'm myself a story teller and graphics artists, not pro yet, but i'm looking for work =)) (and I've been working on my own game/story etc for roughly five years ( the story at least ).

I will definietly love to check this model injection thing out when it's done. I guess it's a 3dsmax export to .X and a converter or something like that ?