Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: What's WRONG with FUNCOM?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    161

    Angry What's WRONG with FUNCOM?

    First off I would like to start by saying that my whole post is rewritten since the first time I wrote it, I got logged out RIGHT when clicking "Submit New Thread", which is just fucking great. Anyhow, on to the post...


    Today I read an article that said that Funcom would stop developing offline PC games. The reason? Piracy. Their words, not mine...

    Now, this obviously put me in a state of shock. What the hell Funcom? Stop making games? What about Dreamfall Chapters, the game you announced just a week ago?

    In the article, Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas says that between 3 and 10 times the amount of bought Dreamfall copies were illegally downloaded. He also says that Funcom lost 20 million kroner (Norwegian currency) on Dreamfall sales. It's a shame they lost so much money (actually it itsn't THAT much, but still, a loss is a loss), but attributing their loss to piracy is just too naïve and quite out of the blue if you ask me. 90% of those who pirated Dreamfall would not have bought it if there were no pirate version. I would, but I'm a rabid TLJ-fan so that doesn't count. Also, if I HADN'T pirated TLJ in the first place, I wouldn't have bought it, and I most certainly wouldn't have learned to love it, since I don't buy stuff before trying them out first.

    Is this a pre-mature April Fool's by Funcom? Are they just fucking with our heads? It all seems like a bad dream to me... what's your take on it?


    The article (in Norwegian) can be found here: http://e24.no/it/it/article1688249.ece , feel free to translate (I can't since I'm at work right now).
    Last edited by skribb; 03-15-2007 at 09:29 AM.

  2. #2
    tabarnac... Kjølv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mtl
    Posts
    337
    I agree with FunCom. Instead of using time and money to develop new methods to stop piracy they say enough is enough. Respect to FunCom for doing that. They will still develop offline pc-games, but you have to register on the net I think. But who don't have internet today?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    36
    woah.

    That just gave me a little shock, I have to admit.

    Sooo.....what does that mean ?
    Does that mean they'll only make games where you have to be online all the time while you play them in the future ?
    This had got to be a joke. A bad one.

    I actually hope I misunderstood this.
    "Often we pretend not to care when we care the most.
    People behave in very strange ways, despite their own feelings."

  4. #4
    Registered User charmed23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    185

    Thumbs down

    oh well, First is the episodic-thing and now is dropping offline game
    Funcom, u r so funny and I don't like those ideas.
    I still hope they will release a box-version for Dreamfall in the end
    "Nothing captures human interest like human tragedy"-Da Vinci Code

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjølv View Post
    I agree with FunCom. Instead of using time and money to develop new methods to stop piracy they say enough is enough. Respect to FunCom for doing that. They will still develop offline pc-games, but you have to register on the net I think. But who don't have internet today?
    The problem I think, is not about stopping piracy, it is that Funcom blame bad sales on piracy. Like several oter good games in the past, Dreamfall didn't sell that well. Do you think the developers of Planescape Torment blamed piracy? Bollocks!

    I am not Norwegian but doesn't the article say that they will stop developing offline games alltogether? I didn't see anything about an online key thingy.

  6. #6
    tabarnac... Kjølv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mtl
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by skribb View Post
    The problem I think, is not about stopping piracy, it is that Funcom blame bad sales on piracy. Like several oter good games in the past, Dreamfall didn't sell that well. Do you think the developers of Planescape Torment blamed piracy? Bollocks!

    I am not Norwegian but doesn't the article say that they will stop developing offline games alltogether? I didn't see anything about an online key thingy.
    Well, if you can read Norwegian you should take a look at this article on Gamer.no. They talk to Arne Aas which is one of the leaders in FunCom.

  7. #7
    Registered User NLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croatia / Norway
    Posts
    249
    I'm totally neutral regarding this.
    I got internet, so having to be online while I play a game doesn't present a problem for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by skribb
    Today I read an article that said that Funcom would stop developing offline PC games. The reason? Piracy. Their words, not mine...
    Now, this obviously put me in a state of shock. What the hell Funcom? Stop making games? What about Dreamfall Chapters, the game you announced just a week ago?
    They'll still make games, only ones you will have to register online to play or something similar instead... What's so bad about that?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    36
    If you just have to register them, that's fine.

    The way I understood this was that they'll only make games where you have to be online all the time. which sucks.
    not all of us have unlimited broadband internet access, after all.
    but then, I'm still hoping that I just got it wrong.

    anyone who speaks norwegian who'd care to translate the gist of the article ?
    "Often we pretend not to care when we care the most.
    People behave in very strange ways, despite their own feelings."

  9. #9
    Registered User NLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croatia / Norway
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmé View Post
    If you just have to register them, that's fine.

    The way I understood this was that they'll only make games where you have to be online all the time. which sucks.
    not all of us have unlimited broadband internet access, after all.
    but then, I'm still hoping that I just got it wrong.

    anyone who speaks norwegian who'd care to translate the gist of the article ?
    rofl
    I better go read it... :blush:
    Haven't really done that... :P
    If you have to be online all the time, and it makes lots of traffic (dl/upload), that does suck... Again, not for me since I (not such a long time ago) got broadband...
    I don't see how it would make much traffic between the PC and net though so I don't think there's a need to worry... At least ont regarding that...
    (Then again, I don't know a whole lot about these things :P )

  10. #10
    Avoiding my problems Devolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    156
    The only blockbuster adventure games I've seen are Myst and Indigo Prophecy. =/ Dreamfall happened to be unlucky in being really good but really stuck...as...an...adventure game. Now if April Ryan carries a chainsaw and fought locusts...

    ..and the game was renamed to The Longest Journey OF WAR....

  11. #11
    Registered Converter Arcade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    856
    I preposed Zoe taking down the Azardi with twin Miniguns ages ago, wonderfull for sales, if not the story

    I can understand peoples anger, but lets wait and see what this translates to when the games come out.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmé View Post
    If you just have to register them, that's fine.

    The way I understood this was that they'll only make games where you have to be online all the time. which sucks.
    not all of us have unlimited broadband internet access, after all.
    but then, I'm still hoping that I just got it wrong.

    anyone who speaks norwegian who'd care to translate the gist of the article ?
    Well I thought that they would just make MMOs and nothing more. I.e Age of Conan.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    36

    Unhappy

    Aaaaaaarghhh !

    If that happens, someone please stab me.
    "Often we pretend not to care when we care the most.
    People behave in very strange ways, despite their own feelings."

  14. #14
    Registered User NLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Croatia / Norway
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by skribb View Post
    Well I thought that they would just make MMOs and nothing more. I.e Age of Conan.
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

  15. #15
    Prince of Procrastination
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    347
    Has this been confirmed by those of you blessed with norwegian languistic parsing skills? (the fact that Funcom will not make games for Internetless people)

    I'd like confirmation before I write another boring essay on the topic.

    Also, I didn't know these forums didn't screen language. I think that's pretty groovy.
    I believe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •