Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running under Vista.

Running under Vista.

Are there any good solutions to run this game under vista? I'm using the Dutch 4 CD version which was on it self quite a pain to run on Windows XP but it won't run at all under Vista ( using Home premium ). As soon as I start up, the movies load but when I'm suppose to get to the menu I am getting a runtime error.
    I tried applying the patch on the discs and changing the compability mode with Vista but that didn't work either.

I am running into the same problem as well. It gives me a runtime error after the Funcom entry. I am running Vista Ultimate. Oh and I have the 4CD version, I wanted to play it again - I saw in in the back of my closet
    Last edited by Rayj; 06-05-2007 at 04:50 AM.

Windows Vista doesn't run a lot of old games, and the old 4-CD TLJ is one of them. The patch to make it work on Vista was quite a bit of work, and is only available for the newer releases. Sorry.

You could try the DLL replacement thing. That makes it work under 2003, at least.

I will be attempting to play it via Virtual PC and an old version of windows 98, so hopefully it will work! *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by Rayj View Post
    I will be attempting to play it via Virtual PC and an old version of windows 98, so hopefully it will work! *crosses fingers*
    That is actually how I run the old releases, and how I do the backwards compatiblity tests for new versions. It has worked pretty well for me. Virtual PC is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    You could try the DLL replacement thing. That makes it work under 2003, at least.
    I tried that but some odd reason the demo won't install correctly on either Vista or Windows XP Pro; everything I install it, I keep getting error messages when the installer wants to copy the .dll files.

Ok, here they are then. (Link will only be valid temporarily.)

That seems to have done the trick, I owe you lots of thanks!

:o!

lol no idea what u people r talking about unless its that new vista website thingy w/e they made ^-^ lol
    ^-^ lol... idek.

Hi I have a Vista and I have the same problem(I get a runtime error right after the Funcom intro), so I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC, but I have no clue how to actually play the game on this. So if someone could explain to me how to actually use it to play Longest Journey that would be great. Thanks!

Easy fix

I found the solution of DLL copying to be very easy - and it apparently didn't matter which versions. Copy MFC42.DLL, msvcirt.DLL, and msvcp60.DLL from Disc One of 4-CD TLJ into your TLJ installation folder and rerun game. It's working on my Vista! Thank you Miral!

Quote Originally Posted by missmo007 View Post
    I found the solution of DLL copying to be very easy - and it apparently didn't matter which versions. Copy MFC42.DLL, msvcirt.DLL, and msvcp60.DLL from Disc One of 4-CD TLJ into your TLJ installation folder and rerun game. It's working on my Vista! Thank you Miral!
    Thank you very much! Everything is fine now.

MFC sux

I really wonder why people still use MFC...and why they still compile with options "use MFC in a shared DLL". This only increases the risk of game crashes.

Unbelievable!

Something reminded me today in class of my two favorite adventure games of all time, Grim Fandango and (surprise) Longest Journey. I realized that I could remember more or less all the plot points for Grim, but barely anything from Longest Journey, which meant it was time to replay it. First I ran out and got Dreamfall (oh, weeks away from playing it, but I look ahead...) and then grabbed my old 4CD copy of TLJ and installed it on my Vista PC. Bam! Runtime error. Fun stuff. Fearing my hopes dashed, I tried everything a tech-savvy gamer might as far as compatibility fixes to no avail. So I headed out to Google in desperation, and found this thread and tried Miral's fix. A half-hour later, I am alt-tabbed from the game while I type this message of thanks. The game runs flawlessly at full graphic and sound settings (though the wrinkles in the FMV have begun to show after getting used to the realtime cutscenes in Crysis ).

Even though it was posted over a year ago and the link remains intact, it was described as a temporary link, so I proffer this very permanent home for those magical .dll files, here: http://www.inchaos.net/TLJ-Dlls.zip

For anyone who'd like to experience this classic adventure on the current OS of record, just put them in the same directory as game.exe and you're set.

Also, while I'm here, April Ryan is the sexiest videogame character of all time.

"I'm in my undies. That's... so not appropriate."