Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between 4CD, 2CD and DVD version?

Difference between 4CD, 2CD and DVD version?

At the moment I have the amazing opportunity to get my hands on any of those 3 versions, so I was wondering is there actually any difference between them and which one should I get?
    Thanks ahead

The 2CD and DVD editions are basically identical to each other.

The 4CD and DVD editions are different; the game content is basically the same but it's been compressed differently. (I don't have the DVD edition myself, so I'm not sure if there are other changes.)

The DVD edition is the only one that's getting semi-active patching (there was a vaguely recent patch for Vista compatibility). However the 4CD version does still work on Vista, with a little fiddling about.

The TLJview tool only works with the 4CD edition.

Unhappy What is the TLJview tool? Is it a Mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Miral View Post
    What Does the TLJview tool do anyways?

And I was thinking the same thing which one should I get?

What does the DVD have that the 2CD or 4CD doesn't have, vice versa.

TLJView is a separate program that can read the data files used by the game (4CD edition only) so you can look at the images and read the dialogue out of game. It has no bearing on gameplay itself and you can't use it to do any modding. Most people probably won't care about it, but it is a point of difference, and that's why I mentioned it.

fitz fixes a feist's fits Switched's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    What does the DVD have that the 2CD or 4CD doesn't have, vice versa.
    I had the same question. Bought recently the DVD version, but I've played the CD version. From what I've noticed so far is that in game folder there's only saved files folder and preferences file. When I had the CD version, the Dreamfall folder was full of data folders etc.

Red face TLJview.exe

TLJView is a separate program that can read the data files used by the game (4CD edition only) so you can look at the images and read the dialogue out of game. It has no bearing on gameplay itself and you can't use it to do any modding. Most people probably won't care about it, but it is a point of difference, and that's why I mentioned it.
    Does this mean IF I was able to Download this TLJview file I can use it in the DVD version and read my SaveGame files like a story book?

No, because (a) it doesn't work like that and (b) as I've already said, it only works on the 4CD edition anyway.

Unhappy How Does It Work?

No, because (a) it doesn't work like that and (b) as I've already said, it only works on the 4-CD edition anyway.
    What does the Program do anyways?

Smile Vista 4CD

The 2CD and DVD editions are basically identical to each other.

The 4CD and DVD editions are different; the game content is basically the same but it's been compressed differently. (I don't have the DVD edition myself, so I'm not sure if there are other changes.)

The DVD edition is the only one that's getting semi-active patching (there was a vaguely recent patch for Vista compatibility). However the 4CD version does still work on Vista, with a little fiddling about.

Hi, I'm running Vista and have the 4CD TLJ. What little fiddling about with do I need to do. I have not tried installing It yet cos I'm a bit worried It will mess everything up. Hope you can help.

It won't mess anything up. Generally, all that's needed is to install it with the largest install size you can (if you've got one of the most recent 4CD editions, you can do a complete install such that you don't even need the CDs in any more), and then after the install manually copy the MFC and MSVC DLLs from the CD into the TLJ game folder.

Old 4CD version/64-bit Vista

I have an early English language 4CD version of TLJ - the box says both "Funcom" and "empire interactive." Are there any significant bugs in this version? If so, are there relevant patches? I have a new PC running 64-bit Vista - will it play on that or only 32-bit Vista? If it plays, does it need a patch to be Vista-compatible? I also have another older machine that can run Win 98SE - would I be better off playing it on that?

Thanks,
    Harry

Copying the DLLs over should make it work just fine. I've played it on 64-bit XP (which is really Win2003 in disguise) without any issues after doing that.

Thanks for your reply, Miral. I know in principle what .dll files are, but I don't know enough to know specifically what you mean by "copying the DLLs over." Can you tell me precisely what files I need to copy from what source and where I would put them after installing the game on 64-bit Vista?

Thanks,
    Harry

Look at post #11 in this thread.